Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday

I've read a lot books since I last did a book review.  But I won't bombard you guys with a review of each one.  That would just be too overwhelming for us all.

Yesterday, I finished listening to The House Girl by Tara Conklin.  I loved it.  It's the story of Josephine Bell...a young house girl on the Bell Plantation in the late 1840's and early 1850's.  But the story also follows Lina Sparrow, a young lawyer in present time.  Lina's law firm takes on a class action reparations case for descendants of slavery victims.  During Lina's research in an attempt to find a plaintiff for the case, she uncovers the story of Josephine and the potential descendant to use as the plaintiff.

The story switches between present day and antebellum Virginia.  I thought the story was beautifully written, but wish there would have been a little more character development.  I do recommend this book and give it 3 1/2 stars.

from barnesandnoble.com

Lina Sparrow is an ambitious young lawyer working on a historic class-action suit seeking reparations for the descendants of American slaves. Josephine is a seventeen-year-old house slave who tends to the mistress of a Virginia tobacco farm—an aspiring artist named Lu Anne Bell. Alternating between antebellum Virginia and modern-day New York, The House Girl is a searing tale of art, history, love, and secrets that intertwines the stories of two remarkable women.

No comments:


My Photo
I am married to my best friend and am the mom of two wonderful kids. I have had my ups and downs in regards to health, happiness and weight loss. This blog will tell you about all of those ups and downs and my opinion on the randomness that we call life.

Instagram



Becky’s Babbles






Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog





Sizzlin' Savages

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved